If you’ve eliminated grains or gluten and are using roasted spaghetti squash more and more, then chances are you’ve gotten the hang of how to roast it by now. That’s good, because this recipe calls for prepared spaghetti squash. However, you still might be on the look out for different ways to serve it.
This recipe takes the oil-based approach versus the tomato- or cream-based that most are accustomed to using. I like the mouthfeel of buttery squash and crisp slices of bright, sweet garlic together so, so much.
Here’s why you’ll like this recipe.
Over the years, I’ve found that smothering squash in a traditional spaghetti sauce just doesn’t always hit the right textural note for me, but that’s just a personal preference. I like how this recipe plays to the crisp, toothy texture of spaghetti squash by using butter or oil instead.
In the habit of including roasted spaghetti squash with your weekly meal prep routine? Awesome. Cold leftovers are ideal to use reheated with this recipe too.
How did it turn out for you?
Once you have a chance to make this, definitely let us know how it turned out! How’d you serve it? Any creative spins that you came up with to make it your own?
My favorite spin has been to top with a fried egg, letting that soft yolk drizzle into the squash as a sauce of sorts is soooo goooood.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash roasted
- ¼ cup butter, ghee or butter alternative spread
- ½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- zest of one lemon
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- Optional fresh herbs to finish
- Preheat a large skillet to medium-high and add the butter (or ghee)
- Brown until the bubbles or foam subsides; this will be approximately 3 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to medium-low and add the thinly sliced garlic; stir constantly! It is very easy for garlic to burn, so keep them moving.
- Crisp the garlic slices for 3 to 4 minutes (keep stirring)
- Add the red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning, stir and allow the herbs to bloom for 30 seconds.
- Add the harvested roasted spaghetti squash to the skillet and toss in the crispy garlic butter sauce.
- Toss with the lemon zest, salt and pepper. If using fresh herbs, toss them in as well and serve right away.