Inflammation is among the health markers many of us are watching. If you’ve done some research on how to help reduce or manage inflammation naturally, you’ve likely read that turmeric can support that endeavor.
At first I just took supplements, but once I read about how black pepper boosts the absorption of curcumin, the active component in turmeric, I wondered about other ways to use turmeric to help with inflammation where black pepper could be easily incorporated. That’s how I stumbled upon Golden Milk.
Here’s why you want to make this.
I’ve got black pepper incorporated to help maximize the benefits of turmeric and this is a dairy-free recipe. For some, dairy also contributes to inflammation so finding a Golden Milk recipe that uses an alternative to cow’s milk has benefits. My recipe below calls for coconut milk, which lends to a luxurious, creamy mouthfeel… reminds me of when I used to drink breves!
How’d it turn out for you?
Let us know what drew you to making Golden Milk at home? Did you end up doing the Butter Coffee variation?
Please note that while some recipes are vegan, this one is not because it calls for honey. If you’re comfortable finding your own substitute, the recipe should still turn out great using a vegan-friendly sweetener.
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1 batch golden milk (below)
Golden Milk Recipe
- ¼ cup ground turmeric
- ½ cup water filtered
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- a few grinds of black pepper
- pinch of ground ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 cup coconut milk unsweetened, full fat
- Start by making the turmeric paste. Whisk the ground turmeric with ½ cup water in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Continue whisking for 5-7 minutes, or until a thick paste has formed. Transfer the paste to a glass dish. Turmeric will stain making glass the best option for storage.
- In the same saucepan, combine 1 teaspoon of turmeric paste with the honey, spices, and coconut milk. Whisk together over medium heat until the ingredients are smooth and melded. The Golden Milk is now complete.
- Move forward with the latte by whisking a freshly brewed cup of your favorite coffee with a half cup of prepared Golden Milk.