Creamy Paleo Chicken & Peppers works best if you are able to make the cashew cream sauce in advance so dinner prep doesn’t feel like it’s dragging on forever. When you have a batch of that ready, this recipe is a true 30-minute meal.
Here’s why I think you’ll like this recipe.
When you’re on a Paleo or vegan diet, having a good cashew cream sauce on hand is gold. So whether or not you decide to prepare this recipe in full, the cashew sauce portion can be used as you wish. However, I really enjoyed this recipe because it helped balance out the meals I tended to eat when I was Paleo years ago. It felt somewhat indulgent to have a creamy Paleo chicken casserole-esq meal for a change. I was among those who ate simply — well prepared protein, roasted veggies, yummy sauce — so this recipe easily set itself apart from the rest.
I’m partial to Mexican flavors, so if you like them too (and you’re into dairy-free options), this recipe should serve you well.
How’d it go? Tell us how the recipe turned out!
Are you used to making cashew cream sauces yet? (If not, a food processor or high-capacity blender is a must-have investment in that endeavor). What did you end up serving this with? Share your thoughts and meal planning inspiration in the comments below!
Chicken & Peppers
- 2 chicken breasts skinless and boneless, cubed
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- ½ large white or yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 small jalapeño seeded and minced
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Optional toppings: fresh cilantro, additional jalapeño slices, and a squeeze of fresh lime
Make the Creamy Cashew Sauce
- Soak the raw cashews in warm water for a minimum of two hours prior to preparing the main recipe
- Once the cashews have softened, drain the water and transfer the cashews to a food processor.
- Warm the chicken stock either on the stove top in a sauce pan or just in the microwave for a few seconds. (*It should be warm, not hot)
- Add the gelatin and kosher salt to the food processor. Stream in the warm chicken stock while pureeing the cashews. Puree until a smooth, creamy sauce takes shape, then set aside for a later step.
Prepare the Chicken & Peppers
- Cut the chicken breasts into approximately 1-inch cubes
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet to medium-high temperature on the stove top and add the avocado oil.
- When the skillet is warm, add the cubed chicken and sprinkle with seasonings and salt. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, then stir and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the peppers, mushrooms, onions, jalapeño, and garlic. Mix everything together and continue cooking for 5 more minutes, or until the onions have become translucent.
- Reduce the stove temperature to medium-low and pour the creamy cashew sauce over the mixture; stir immediately and simmer for 2 minutes or less. If the sauce starts to look a little dry, add up to an additional 1/2 cup of chicken stock (or water, in a pinch).
- While the dish simmers, prepare recommended toppings: fresh cilantro, lime wedges, and perhaps a few more jalapeño slices.