If ever there was a perfect bite, this recipe for BLT Scallops with Herb Mayo would be among the contenders.
This is why I think you’ll love serving this recipe.
I’ll say it again, it is among the contenders for the perfect bite. Textural contrasts for days, pops of acid, the balance of fats, a spark of salt, the succulent mouthfeel of a well-prepared scallop… it’s all there. This appetizer will make people happy.
Also, if you don’t want to fuss with the mayo part or prefer not to eat mayonnaise, it can be substituted with a slice of avocado when assembling the skewers. You’ll have to omit the step where it calls for adding a bit of the herb mayo to the pan to coat the scallops, of course. But at least to know you have the option available, if you’d prefer not to include mayo in your preparation.
So, how’d it go? Tell us all about it.
But first–are you already familiar with The Paleo Cupboard blog? My friend Amy is a spectacular cook. Seriously, her recipes are incredibly reliable. Have you tried her Paleo Pasta yet? It’s exactly right. Ok, so for this recipe: how often do you make scallops? How did this appetizer compare? Did you put your own spin on the herb mayo component? Let’s hear all about it in the comments below!
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon
- 6 large sea scallops patted dry
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp ghee, lard, tallow, or bacon drippings
- ¼ cup baby arugula
- 1 Roma tomato cut into 6 slices
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp dried thyme
- ⅛ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp celery seed
Make the Herbed Mayo
- Make the herbed mayo by mixing together all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator until ready to use in a later step.
Prepare the Scallops
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Place the bacon on a paper-towel-lined plate to drain, keeping the drippings in the pan.
- Sprinkle the scallops with the pepper and cook in the pan for 1 minute, then flip and cook for an additional minute. Melt the ghee in the pan and then add a tablespoon of the herb mayo. Gently shake the pan to coat the scallops. Cook for another 30 seconds, then transfer the scallops to a cutting board. Rest for 1 minute, then slice each scallop in half.
- Cut each cooked bacon strip into 4 pieces. To assemble the skewers, top a scallop half with a bit of arugula, a tomato slice, 2 pieces of bacon, a dollop of herb mayo, and then the other half of the scallop. Gently skewer with a toothpick and serve.