Balsamic Chicken & Sausage is a slow cooker hit! Big flavors and perfect for batch cooking… I made this recipe often back in my Paleo days–but don’t let the Paleo reference steer you away. This recipe is loaded with fresh ingredients everyone can enjoy: chicken breasts, Italian sausages, onion, garlic, olive oil, standard seasonings, and a sweet, syrupy balsamic vinegar.
Here’s why I think you’ll like this recipe.
It really is flavorful enough to heap onto spaghetti squash or zoodles and it’s a no-brainer on pasta (gluten-free or otherwise). I’ve had it every way… My favorite Paleo version was actually piled on top of green beans, believe it or not. I found that while I was Paleo, I enjoyed the food a lot more once I stopped trying to pretend that I was eating something else. Shredded chicken, Italian sausage, and spicy tomato sauce are delicious on green beans, y’all.
But if you don’t need to fuss with a grain-free or gluten-free diet, then you’ll love this Balsamic Chicken & Sausage recipe over penne, rotini, or campanelle. I prefer a bite-sized pasta to spaghetti or tagliatelle, but enjoy this the way you’d prefer! Either way, be sure to finish this dish with fresh herbs like basil or parsley.
How’d you like this recipe? Comment below!
Are you a big slow cooker fan too? Did you make any modifications to the recipe? How’d you serve it? Let’s swap ideas in the comments below!
- 4 chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- 6 fresh Italian sausage links uncooked
- 1 white onion thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning Blend
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 29 oz canned diced tomatoes (two 14.5 oz cans)
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce (one 15 oz can)
- 1 cup chicken stock (can substitute water)
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp kosher salt — additional
- ½ tsp garlic powder — additional
- Lay the chicken breasts on the bottom of the slow cooker and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning Blend, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt — do not toss. Leaving the seasonings undisturbed helps to more richly season the chicken breasts as it cooks.
- Place the uncooked Italian sausage links atop the seasoned chicken. Do not mix.
- Next, place the layer of thinly sliced onion and chopped garlic. Pour the canned diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken stock (or water) and balsamic vinegar into the slow cooker basin. Top with the remaining seasonings (1 tsp Italian Seasoning Blend, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder). Again, do not mix. The flavors develop nicely when left in layers as directed.
- Cover the slow cooker, set to high temperature and cook for 5 hours.
- Shred the chicken breasts in the slow cooker basin and combine with the sauce. Remove the Italian sausage links, slice into coins and mix back into the sauce. Serve with spaghetti squash for Paleo, gluten-free pasta or regular pasta, as desired.